Tuesday 5 November 2013

An ode to grandparents



The word grand, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, refers to something of a higher rank than others bearing the same general designation.  To apply this status to something as challenging as parenthood, may possibly begin to explain the roll grandparents play.  Not only in the lives of their grand children, but also in the lives of their own.

My parents came to visit me shortly after my daughter was born.  Some nights were long and never-ending, as they often are with newborns.  But having my parents there made it all ok.  Somehow I wanted more to spend time with them than catch up on sleep.  I wanted to share with them, the miracle that I made.  I wanted them to feel what I felt.  And, seeing the wonder in their eyes for something (or someone) that is not their own, yet their own blood, was fuel enough to keep going.  Love seems to know no limits in it's tonic-like qualities.

Grand parents.  They have a higher rank, not only because they have done it all before.  But maybe because they have space enough in their hearts to let more in.  Because they just keep giving more and more love.  They know no fear for fear bringing, decibel registering screams.  They are not afraid of the dark, or the monsters in the closet.  They just smile.  And love.

Grand.

1 comment:

  1. This is so special and so beautifully written, as always x

    ReplyDelete